Wednesday, October 17, 2007

BRUNETTES

     The brunettes in the back booth of Sleestak’s are sisters. If that weren’t bad enough, they’re all actresses. Angel, the oldest, is separated by two years from Billie, who’s three years older than Janis. Sleestak’s is their weekly rendezvous point where they talk shop. This pact means that they won’t clutter up the rest of the week with conversations about "the business."
     It’s Friday night and the conversation always starts the same way.
     "I need more cigarettes before we start this shit," Billie says, scrounging through her Coach bag. "Excuse me," she asks a nearby waitress," do you guys sell cigarettes?"
     "Yeah," the waitress replies," Dutch Pinks or Diamond Blues?"
     "You got Dutch Slims?"
     "Sure. You guys want refills?"
     Angel covers her glass with her hand, shaking her head.
     "Still nursing this one, thanks," replies Janis as she takes a swig.
     The waitress saunters off.
     "So, anything good this week," Janis asks, finishing her drink.
     "Oh, yeah," Billie says, sarcastically. "That slimy fuck at I.Q. Casting? The mullet guy? He made another pass at me."
     "Billie, you think every guy is out to fuck you."
     "I’m serious, Janis! I’m going in for that Waterbed King spot and when I get in there, he tells me to lay down on this twin size mattress and flop around."
     "He actually said, ‘flop around?’" asks Angel.
     "Yeah! He made me take off my shoes and he told me he was doing some close-ups of my feet for the client to see. Jesus, when I got out of there I felt like I needed a shower. Felt so filthy."
     "Well, that was probably a good impulse," Angel says. "No telling how many people have already flopped around on that thing before you got there."
     "Shit! You were called in for Waterbed King?" Janis shouts. "I should’ve been called in for that!"
     "If they do, make sure you get a pedicure first," replies Billie. Apparently the Waterbed King has a foot fetish. So, what’s shaking with you guys?"
     "I start rehearsals for that play this week," Janis says, looking down at her empty glass.
     "Jesus God, that Greek tragedy thing?" Billie asks with a chortle.
     "No! Remember? I’m understudying at the Humboldt this week!"
     Angel and Billie look over at each other in shock.
     "The H?" Angel asks.
     "You’re working at the big room at the H?" asks Billie at full volume.
     "It’s not the big room, it’s the black box," replies Janis, meekly. "I’m understudying this tiny role. It’s not a big deal."
     "But it’s the H, Janis," Angel replies, "that’s kind of a big deal. Admit it."
     "Fuck me! You’re playing the fucking H before me! Oh my God!" shouts Billie.
     "Hey, you got called back for Waterbed King. That’s a national spot!" Janis fires back.
     "C’mon, mullethead’s using my foot tape for his personal jerk reel. You’ve made it into the big house! That’s the fucking balls!"
     "Yeah, I’m not getting paid shit though. I’ll probably never even go on."
     "Billie’s right, Janis. This is a step up for you. It would be a step up for any of us. But you. You’re still young, you’re still in that ingenue phase. This could lead to bigger things. Seriously, congratulations."
     Angel tips her half-empty glass to Janis, who clinks her glass with Angel’s.
     "And you?" Janis asks Angel.
     "Oh, nothing. Nothing, just working at the law office. You know, I’ve been really busy lately. Late hours. There’s this huge backlog and by the time I get home, I’m just beat. I mean, I saw a couple of things this week I thought about going out for, but I just didn’t have anything prepared, so . ."
     "Wasn’t there some student film thing?" asks Billie.
     "Yeah, but I got a weird vibe from the director. There was this bare back scene in it and I just wasn’t comfortable. It seemed unnecessary."
     "It’s just your back, Ang," snaps Billie. "They’re not asking you to go spread eagle or anything."
     "Yeah, that’s more your speed," replies Janis.
     "Hey, you know that I.Q. guy’s a fucking skeeze," Billie says.
     "It’s only a student film," Janis says to Angel. "You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do, you know?"
     "I know. Honestly, I’m not even sure I want to put myself out there anymore."
     "What do you mean?" asks Billie.
     "I’m too old now. 35 is tough. Trust me, you guys will know what I mean when you get here. I just want stability. A real life like everybody else. Normal people, you know, not actors. I mean, how long do we chug away at this thing before we give up? Where’s the end to it all? I don’t even know why I bother trying anymore. I don’t get cast in anything. Haven’t for a long time. I called Faye a couple of days ago and told her not to send me out anymore."
     "What?" Billie screams.
     "Angel," Janis says calmly, placing her hand on top of Angel’s wrist, "you can’t tell your agent you don’t want to be sent out anymore. You just tell her you’re taking a month off, then you’ll call her back."
     "No, I’m done. You guys are doing great. Better than I ever did. I’m just not cut out for it. Time kind of whittled me down, that’s all. I’ve got to find somebody. Got to stop living for myself. And that’s all this business is. It’s too self-involved and I just want out."
     The faces of the other two brunettes turn down to their drinks. Angel is almost in tears, but manages to hold them back.
     "Excuse me," she says and heads for the ladies room.
     "Well, how about that?" Janis says to Billie after a moment of silence.
     "Yeah," Billie replies, "How about that?" She is shaken a bit. Angel was her reason for trying her own hand at this in the first place, and seeing her older sister giving up like this makes her doubt her own future.
     "Can I get some fucking cigarettes around here?" she shouts.
     The bar gets eerily quiet as the two brunettes wait for their sister to come back to them.




-SLL

1 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

Hey didn't you do a waterbed spot? You would be good. You have such cute feet.

October 17, 2007 at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home