Sunday, September 16, 2007

(338)

“Have we met?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Hmmm. I feel like I know you.”

“Well, it’s possible I guess.” 

Hogarth studied his menu as the curious middle aged waitress twisted her mouth to the side.

Somehow, on a biological level at least, this was supposed to help her remember where she’d seen this young man before. 

“So, anything to drink?”

“Yes. I’ll have a diet pop, please. No ice. But if for some reason you have to absolutely add ice to the drink, may I have a straw? You see, I don’t like it when the ice touches my lip. That’s the first reason. The second is that the pop is already cold when it comes out of the fountain. Adding ice only takes away space for more pop, and leads to the ice melting in the pop and watering it down.” 

The waitress begins to nod. Not because she agrees with him, but because now she is sure she has seen this man before. 

She had not. 

“Now I know you’ve been in here before! Just last week. You said all the absolute same stuff about “pop” and ice.” 

“Oh.”

“I know you were.”

It was my brother. I have a twin brother. His name is Randall.” 

As she walked away to get his iceless diet pop, Hogarth put his plans of finding his missing twin on hold for a second, and started trying to figure out how he could sleep with the middle aged waitress.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home