Sunday, October 7, 2007

A hole (317)

When Hogarth walked into the living room, he found a hole in the center of the floor.
A big round hole.
His wife was sitting calmly in a chair at its edge, drinking a cup of coffee and staring down into the darkness.
“what is this?” Hogarth asked, worried.
“A hole” she answered.
“I can see that it’s a hole, but why is it here?”  he said, looking down into the pit.

“It was here when I got up. I don’t know what it is” she said, and had another sip of coffee.
“So, you got up, found this perfectly round hole in our living room that seems to be bottomless, and you still had time to make coffee?”
“Well,” she started.” You have to have coffee.”
Hogarth thought a moment about this…

When Hogarth returned with his cup of coffee, he had a seat next to his wife and stared into the hole. Eventually, he started looking around the room.
“Are you looking for stuff to toss into the hole?” his wife asked.
“Yeah.”
“I tossed some stuff in earlier.” She said
“Really? What happened?”
“I tossed a pencil down, and nothing happened. I tossed down a book, and a bigger book came out.”
“What was the book?” Hogarth asked
“I didn’t recognize the language.”
“Can I see it?”
“It’s on the dining room table.”
Hogarth went to the dining room and there it was- a large book with what looked like a form of alien language written on it.
“That’s weird.” He said, and had another sip of coffee.
“I want to toss the cat it” his wife said.
“I don’t think it’s a good idea. What if they toss out some strange alien cat?” Hogarth warned.
“Good point” she said. “I already tossed in the cat, though.”
“What!?” Hogarth gasped “What did they toss out?
“I don’t know what it was , but it’s in my brain and it wants you to jump into the hole.” She said as blood trailed from her nose and eyes down her face.
“Jump in the hole, Hogarth.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home