Saturday, September 29, 2007

Basement




I am a captive here. I know it’s happened before, but this is just weird. It’s the same old basement. Well, I can only assume that it’s a basement. If you have a dank mildewy smell any other place in your house you have problems. There is also the temperature and humidity. Its cool and rather humid. Not in a bad way but when you come in from working out its not a bad humidity/temperature combo to walk into. Granted I didn’t walk into this one, more like knocked in the head and drug, but who is keeping track. We will assume that this is a basement.
I see some garden tools, a few loops of rope, a vacuum, and a stack of toilet paper that is eight rolls wide and goes floor to ceiling. Yep, somebody is not afraid of taking a crap. There in the corner is a pile of fabric, covering what looks like a mattress, no box springs. Probably haven’t been washed in months. The other corner houses a cage. There might be a hint of wet dog smell coming from that corner so that’s what that could be. Look at the shoes! They are all over the place, as well as broken toys. A G.I. Joe leg here, a torso there. Ninja Turtles, He-man, Transformers! The posters on the walls are of Nirvana, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, and what looks like most of the Sports Illistrated Swim Suit foldouts for most of the ‘90s.
I hear the door at the top of the stairs creek open, and a shaft of light hits me in the face. I hadn’t realized I had been standing observing the room for so long.
“Derrick?” a concerned voice called down.
“Yes?” I answered back.
“Are you going to stand there all day, or are you going to clean your room?”
“I was just starting.”
Mom said since I was gone to college I might as well clean my room up so she can use it for something useful. I better get started.

-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home