Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Humans are curious creatures

    Two figures emerge in the distance. The heat is distorting their shapes to the point it is difficult to determine what they are. Are they camels? Llamas? Long saber tooth deer? Or, could it be humans? Humans are curious creatures. They haven’t been seen in these parts neigh on thirty years. The figures begin to take shape. They are either human or some other bipedal creature. One is larger than the other, but walks slightly stooped.
    I can hear them now.
    “What do you mean you lost the canteens?”
    “When we ran into that pack of lorcats I dropped both of them. Not that I meant to, but when they grabbed Roberto and Cecile I panicked.” 
    “Panicked my ass! You were scared. Plus, I saw you run before they grabbed anybody.

    I decide to follow them for a little bit. They don’t notice me, and continue with their discussion.
    “The only reason you weren’t first is ‘cuz you are so short! I can’t help I got long legs.”
    “Well, pray tell what are we going to do for water?”
    “Currently, we have the whole ocean to our right. Why do we need a canteen? Have you ever drank salt water?
    “No.”
“Trust me. You don’t want to drink it. You’ll start throwing up and loose even more fluids than you already are.”
He bends down and picks up a pebble.
“Here put this in your mouth and suck on it. It will help keep you from being so thirsty. Now what we need to do is….”
I let them walk out of hearing range. They won’t last long in this heat. It almost makes me sad. I make my way back to my den. It isn’t my job to interfere with humans or any other creature for that matter. I keep watch and record. Who will record if not for the little ones?
Humans are curious creatures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home