Sunday, February 24, 2008

TREVOR GREENSTONE - ROCK DINOSAUR

What obligation do I have to the fans anyway?  Do I really have to arrange the set list to reflect their tastes?  Jesus, if I have to play “The Hollow Man, Parts I-VII,” I think I’m going to fucking projectile vomit on the first row of this stadium crowd.  That’s not me anymore!  It’s something I wrote when I was in my early 20’s.  It’s who I was, not who I am.  That song is 35 minutes long!  It took up an entire album side back in the day.  Hell, the first part alone is 11 minutes.  What was I thinking?  Why can’t I play something from the new album?  CD, whatever!  Am I gypping this capacity crowd if I don’t play even a third of “Hollow Man?”  What about “King Hornblower” or “Threshold’s End” or anything off of the “Wormhole” album?  How about putting those to bed?  Would this audience riot or something if I actually played “Statuesque” from my latest release?  I’m touring because of that, you selfish bastards!  Not in support of “Peach Cobbler Man” or “Shiva the Destroyer” or “Village in the Reeds” or any number of useless, brainless singles I released 30 years ago!  I’m doing some great shit now, in my 50’s.  Don’t you fucks realize that?  No, you don’t.  I’ll just make the drummer do the solo from that Dutch soundtrack we did back in ’71 – the shit you have to hear to legitimize the $200 ticket price – while I sit under the stage, change my shirt, grab another guitar and stew for seven minutes until it’s finished.  I don’t know.  Maybe I just hate rock ’n’ roll, if that’s even what we’re playing anymore. 




-SLL

 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home